A few facts about the OT prophet, Malachi....
~~~His name means "my messenger"
~~~He was a prophet when Nehemiah was leading the people to rebuild the wall of Jerusalem
~~~He condemned those who didn't pay tithes
~~~The Book of Malachi was written by the prophet in the form of a debate
~~~After the end of Malachi's prophesy....there came 400 years of silence....but when the time was right....God would send....
In Chapter 1, the Lord gave Malachi messages to Israel....
1) His Love for Israel
2) His condemnation of a corrupt priesthood
(the priests offered animals as sacrifices that were stolen, blind, crippled, or sick)
3) His call to faithfulness
Loved this verse.....
2:10 - Are we not all children of the same Father? Are we not all created by the same God? Then why do we betray each other?
4) The Coming Day of Judgment
The people would be judged by the Lord for.....
- cheating employees of their wages
- oppressing widows and orphans
- depriving foreigners who lived with them of justice
- 5) A call to repentance
- 3:6a - "I am the Lord, and I do not change"!
- The people were accused of cheating God. When asked how they cheated Him, He told them (thru Malachi) that they cheated Him of the tithes and offerings due Him. If the people would bring their tithes to the storehouse, the Lord would do the following for them (love, love, love this scripture!!!)
- 3:10 - "I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test!
- If none of you have "put Him to the test"....then, try it with your own tithes and offerings....it works!!!
- 6) The coming of the Lord (#2)
- God would spare those who feared Him....as His special treasure....showing the difference between those who serve God and those who don't!!!
Don't you love thinking of yourself.....as a child of God.....as His "special treasure"?!?!?
Thank you so much for sticking with me this far.....I know we've covered a lot of territory. You all can tell that I'm definitely no Bible scholar....but I hope that if you're following along with us in reading the Bible thru....that you've gleaned a lot from the scriptures....asking the Holy Spirit to touch your heart and mind as you read His Word!!!
- Looking forward to hearing from each of you as we enter into the New Testament.....I'm so excited!!!
- In His Most Precious Love....and with mine!!!
Post a Comment
Gracious words are a honeycomb,
sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.