For those of you who read my blog, and also my daughter's, you'll notice that we're both trying to loose some weight. We're going about it differently...well, sort of...we all know that the only way to loose weight is to eat less and move more. Anyway....I know we've both had some hurtful things said to us about being overweight. For some reason...and I think this is just the way society is...but....for some reason....being overweight is looked upon as being a weakness, or a sign of a lack of intelligence. At least this is what I've experienced. Here are just a few examples of things that have been said to me because of my weight:
1. A man at church once told me that I was getting big as a horse.
2. A little girl asked me, "Why did you get so fat?"
3. An older lady pinched my upper arm and told me I was getting "fleshy", then asked, "How much do you weigh?" (my answer was just "too much"....I was floored that anybody would actually ask somebody that question)!!!!!
4. I lifted a printer at work for a man who had some back trouble and he told me I was a "hoss".
5. A man who was in authority over me told me how tight my pants were getting.
6. A doctor told me once that I really needed to loose weight...that I had a really pretty face, but was overweight....a doctor, mind you, said this to me!!!
And, I could go on and on.
Isn't it sad that I've remembered all this negative stuff?
I'm telling you all this for a couple of different reasons.
First of all......we need to be very, very careful what we say to people...even our children, or grandchildren. We should always try to build each other up, and not tear down....not to make any body's self image suffer because of our words.
Second....until I found....let me rephrase that...until the Lord led me to "The Lord's Table", I didn't realize that I was an actual glutton, and oh, how I despise that word. But that word described me. I also worshipped an idol...food!!! I put food before the Lord...ran to food when I was stressed/tired/emotional....instead of running to God!!!
So...all of those people who said all those negative things about me....there was a lot of truth in your comments....maybe you thought you were being helpful.....for some reason you probably thought I wasn't aware that I was "FAT"!!!!! You probably didn't realize that I owned a pair of bath scales, could barely breathe at times, was having chest pains, etc., etc., etc.!!!
So..I thank each of you for being so considerate of me to point out the obvious!! (in case you didn't pick up on it, that was a sarcastic remark..ha! ha!)
One of these days....when God gets thru with me....maybe then you'll see what was underneath all those fat rolls....the same loving heart that was there before they disappeared!!!!