Last week, at the beginning of Lent, I did a brief study on the number "40" in scripture and wanted to document the things I gleaned here, for future reference. It might be of interest to some of y'all, too.
* When we see the number "40" in scripture, it reveals a time of trials, probation, or testing
* The number 40 is mentioned 146 times in the Bible
* It rained for 40 days and 40 night during the great flood of Noah's time (Genesis 7:4)
* Israel ate manna for 40 years in the wilderness (Exodus 16:35)
* Moses was on Mt. Sinai for 40 days and 40 nights receiving the Law (Exodus 24:18)
* Elijah, after being told by an angel to get up and eat and drink, became strong enough to travel for 40 days and 40 nights to Mt. Sinai (I Kings 19:8)
* Ezekiel laid on his right side for 40 days, 1 day for each year of Judah's sin (Ezekiel 4:6)
* Jonah gave the city of Nineveh a 40 day warning before it was to be destroyed (Jonah 3:4)
* Jesus was tempted for 40 days and 40 nights in the wilderness (Matthew 4:2, Luke 4:1-2)
* Jesus was seen by His disciples for 40 days after his resurrection (Acts 1:3)
I feel Lent is a time that all Christians can spend in prayer and repentance and reflection. The following verses were some of the most compelling.....
to me as I did this study, so I'll just end with them.....